Founded in 2013, Five P Venture Pvt. Ltd. aims to protect, preserve and promote the handloom textile weaving heritage of Chennimalai in Southern India. In revitalizing this antique and exquisite weaving practice, Five P Venture prioritizes the prosperity of Chennimalai’s traditional weavers and the preservation of their craft for posterity.
Chennimalai, a small town near Erode, Tamil Nadu, was once well known for its highly skilled weavers. Today, this town is witnessing a steady decline in the number of weavers due to the intervention of power looms, uneven economic development and sociocultural factors that have slowly suffocated the ecosystem in which this traditional practice once flourished.
Five P Venture consciously prioritizes the socio-economic well-being of the people behind the Chennimalai weaving tradition by:
- Providing consistent and adequate compensation to weavers; maintaining a sustainable, work-friendly and state of the art weaving facility
- Investing in design and marketing to attract socially conscious connoisseurs of handloom textile from around the world
- Grooming the next generation of weavers with a progressive mind-set and hence facilitate the evolution of the weaving tradition for the contemporary market
Our main fabric categories are as follows:
- CLASSIC – Natural cotton and linen of varied counts
- ORGANIC – GOTS certified hand-woven cotton fabric
- NATURAL DYED – Beautiful hues of naturally dyed hand-woven fabric
- DENIM – Our speciality fabric in various weave and indigo combinations
- RECYCLED – Fabric woven from reclaimed cotton fabric
- ERI SILK (or) AHIMSA SILK – Silk extracted in non violent way
Our case study has shown that for most handloom weavers in Chennimalai, the first priority is survival and finding respectable work all year round. In this village, there is no lack of skill and technical expertise. However more can be done to inspire creative leadership, courage and commitment. At Five P Venture we are confident that a positive and proactive approach to develop new strategies based on design must clearly guide the weavers to a path that will ensure security and stability. Innovative design coupled with a solid infrastructure can help weavers revive their confidence and restore their competitive spirit.